Wednesday 26 December 2012

Mother and newborn


What with Emma soon to give birth and Christmas being all about the birth of a baby it probably isn't surprising that I have been thinking about Emma's birth.  The birth of my first daughter Mary was so traumatic I couldn't imagine a birth that would be positive and empowering.  Yet this was how it turned out to be with Emma.  

This is what I have tried to express in this picture.  It was hard to express the glow I felt when I used to sit and breastfeed Emma in the days just after she was born.  At first I put too much of a halo around the woman which made her look too much like a renaissance picture of the virgin mother and the child.  What I wanted to show was a glow that came from a deep place within me and which expressed a very deep inner joy.  I am so grateful that Emma's birth enabled me to have this experience and of course I have also been having happy memories of her father who made it all possible.

I do hope that Emma experiences something similar although almost certainly it will be a different journey for her.  Maybe 29th/30th of this month?

Lets see.  Babies come in their own time.












No comments:

Post a Comment