Friday 6 June 2014

An introspective day


I feel it has been a very introspective day today. It is the 70th anniversary of the D day landings and I have been thinking a lot about my father who participated in that on what was his birthday. He was one of the first people to be called up and so had been in the war from the beginning. It all culminated in a nervous breakdown for him as the war ended. There was a generation of people who in various ways were devastated by the war which I think explains a lot about how my parents were while I was a child.

Later I went to the Post office to send off the first of the packages of my personal papers to Emma. They  contain letters between Shantam and me. I always thought that sometime I would go through them and perhaps there would be something to write about but this has never happened. They are the only papers I haven't digitised as I just cannot bring myself to look at them again. It brings up too many painful memories. So I decided to send them to Emma although I don't want her or anyone else looking at them until after I am gone. I know where they are if I ever change my mind though.

I felt most peculiar as I handed the first parcel to the man at the Post office. It was as if I had bundled up this part of my life and was letting it go. Which was further enhanced when I came back from the Post Office and saw how clear my door looks now I have cut down a rather overgrown shrub nearby. It is as if I am getting myself clear for the next steps forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment