Thursday 29 November 2012

No inspiration


Today, very unexpectedly, I had some time to myself when I was determined to do some art work.  Unfortunately it was a case of having the time but not the inspiration.  I couldn't think of any image that I wanted to create and here I was with all the time in the world to create it.

Infuriating!

Determined to do something I wrote 'No inspiration' and played around with it until I got the above.  I found it very satisfying to do and loved creating the paint splatter effect despite the fact that I did the image without paint on my iPad.

I think this shows me something about my creative cycles.  That I have to take the moment when it comes and not try to get all my jobs done before I feel I can sit down and create something.  On the other hand I find that unless I set aside some regular time - however short - to do some creative work I lose touch with my creative cycles completely.  Unless something comes along which is very insistent to be created.

Doing this blog has been quite a revelation as not only is it helping me keep in touch with my visual self, but it is also showing me how much visual work I am actually doing.  I assume I do mostly writing but I do a lot of things with images as well.  I have been very surprised by how much of my time is spent working with images.

Of course I have the usual problem of focusing more on the images that I am working with for 'work' than for 'expressing'.  It seems some things never change whatever medium I choose to work in.















No comments:

Post a Comment