Tuesday 14 January 2014

New way of growing lettuces


We tried a new way of growing lettuces today.  Instead of cutting lettuce when it is ready we are picking the leaves and then planting small lettuces between the larger plants.  Depending on how the larger lettuce grow we will pick once or twice more and by the time we do this for the last time the small lettuces will have grown to large lettuces which we will cut in the same way.  

Vivek thinks this will save water as well as providing a more continuous supply of lettuce.  He was worried that by clearing the bed once the lettuce grows and then spending a long time waiting for the plants of the next lot to grow we were wasting water.  

Because we will have many more plants on the soil we will have to water the plants with liquid fertilizer which we made using compost and chicken dung.

My camera stopped working today so I will have to use my tablet, which is a bit bulky, to take photos.  The lens won't open when I switch on my camera and I fear it is the sort of thing that probably cannot be repaired.  I will have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment